Sunday, August 30, 2015

Remembering Is My Number Two Resource

The other day, a child was not focusing too well on his work because he was too busy wiggling his loose tooth.  This makes me smile because I remember sitting in a hot Nebraska classroom wiggling a loose tooth.

I believe that remembering what it was like makes me a better teacher.

Each morning, I try to slide into the day with a song and low-key start.  I remember how crazy mornings were when my children were little.  Family schedules are more hectic now.

I remember recess and the drama of picking teams for the game of the day.  When I pick teams, I number off in a different combination each day, not perfect, but better.

I remember when students were picked on and fight that each day.  My biggest success was pairing a girl who was a little different with a boy who was beginning to make fun of her.  She was a much better reader and impressed him--he became her defender for the rest of the year.

I remember children who struggled when I was in grade school and, unfortunately, now I know some of them had learning difficulties that were not recognized then.  One had been held back and I remember the teacher often asked him, "How did we do that last year?"  I cringed for him each time she said that, constantly reminding him of his failure and the knowledge that he was not doing much better the second time around.  Those words have never come out of my mouth.

I believe my job is to bring out the best in each child and help them discover their talents.  I tell them, "Everyone has their own easy."

I am not perfect, just forgiven and richly blessed to work with great teachers who are a fountain of resources.  My husband would remind me over and over that each day was a new start; we always bounced ideas around and got through tough years together.  Fortunately, we didn't have "those" classes at the same time. 

I pray daily for patience and the ability to show my students the grace God has shown me. 





No comments:

Post a Comment