Sunday, August 9, 2015

Why I Love First Grade


August 5, 2015

 
There is a light that goes on in a child’s eyes when he/she realizes that they “get it.”  That’s my motivation.  You are blessed if you have seen that light in a child’s eyes.

First graders have unconditional faith in God.  This is the reason Jesus says we should have a child-like faith in Matthew 18:3.

First graders have unconditional faith in their teachers.  They would never think that gassy smell in the classroom came from their teacher. 

First graders are shocked to see you in the grocery store.  One memorable time, we were checking out, when I noticed everyone around us giggling.  I looked up and saw a boy across the store, jumping up and down and shouting, “Mrs. Pride, Mrs. Pride.”  I waved and said hello.  Someone said, “You must be a teacher.”  You mean you could tell?  (I have only hidden from one child in a grocery store.)

First graders are very black and white.  They hate to make mistakes.  I will point out mistakes as I make them so they know it is ok and the nothing disastrous happened.  I tell them that we are thankful for tape, erasers, and back sides of papers to start over.

First graders do not understand cheating.  They think of it as helping their friends.  They do not realize that I need to know if someone is having trouble with a newly taught concept. 

In first grade, the f word is fart and the s word is stupid.  I personally feel, however, that it is hard to replace the word stupid in some situations.  John always used the word foolish because Jesus used foolish with the disciples, Luke 24:25.  Google it and you will see it is a great replacement.  I would never call a child foolish, but some of the things we humans choose to do are, indeed, foolish. (One of my colleagues has suggested we could also use “brood of vipers” as Jesus did in Matthew 12:34.)

Close to the top of my list for loving first grade is that all my jokes are new every year.  In fact, I measure their development by how well they “get” the puns.  They laugh with no restraint and there is no sweeter sound to my ears.

The End 
(The way a first grader ends a story.)

1 comment:

  1. Yep! I agree, this is why I also love first grade!! Mrs. Pride sayings are still used in our house today!

    ReplyDelete