Monday, August 24, 2015

First Grade Bible Translations

Since I have just written about memory work, I would like to share some of the translations that children have given me from their memory work.  Many times, I think their translations make more sense.

2 Corinthians 9:7  God loves a cheerful giver.
Translation:  God loves a cheerful sinner.  (I am sure the sinner is happy because he/she is forgiven.)

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son.
Translation:  For God so loved the world that He gave His only forgotten Son.  (That is sad.)

Psalm 46:1 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
Translation:  God is our refuge and strength, a very pleasant help in trouble.  (He really is!)

When one child was saying her memory verse, she stamped her foot and said, "What's Mr. --'s name?"  I said, "Mark."  She said, "5:19."

The following is not memory work, just songs we enjoy in class.

Song:  May the God of our Salvation be exalted.
Translation:  May the God of our Salvation be exhausted.  (Fortunately, He is not.)

Song:  Take my life and let it be, consecrated, Lord, to Thee.
Translation:  Take my life and let it be, concentrated, Lord to Thee.  (Amen.)

Song:  Every time I feel the Spirit moving in my heart, I will pray.
Translation:  Every time I feel the Spirit moving in my heart, I will play.  (Some are moved more than others.)

These were all translations I have written down and I am sure I will hear many more before this year is over.

May God's word be alive in you!

2 comments: