Tuesday, August 11, 2015

The Last First Day of School

I really didn't know how this day would go, but I was surprised that I slept so very well last night.  The tone was set when I was at my desk at 7:00 and got a message from a student who is now a freshman in high school.  Each day after she left my class, this dear girl would stop at the door to say, "Good morning, Mrs. Pride."  We would chat a little and the day was off.  Today, she messaged me the same words.  This filled my heart with so much tenderness.

The students came in ready to go.  It is our school's policy for the first through fourth grade teachers to visit the homes of the students before school starts.  Each child knew what to do when he/she came through the door and they did it!  The parents have also been told they must leave the room at 7:55 from now on.  I am old and can say this much easier than a younger teacher can.  I guess I should say experienced and less experienced, but I can only cope with so much political correctness.

These things make me sad:
We have to keep the building locked all day. 
All classrooms are locked all day.
I have to add to my first day instructions what to do if an intruder comes into the building.

These things made me happy:
Everyone was smiling at the end of the day.
Each child did his/her best.
There were only a few tears at the beginning of the day and none after that.
I did not have to clean off the toilet because of poor aim.  (I have requested that a target be painted at the bottom of the toilet, but no one but me believes it would improve aim.)
The voices of the children in opening chapel blasting out this chorus: 
"Shout to the north and south,
Sing to the east and the west,
Jesus is Savior of all,
Lord of heaven and earth." 
I got several, "This day went fast."
Everyone got safely to the right place after school.

I am more than ready to go back to school tomorrow.

God's blessings to you all!








3 comments:

  1. Sandy, I love this insight into you and your last year. The sound of little Lutheran Christians singing praise is absolutely the best. I always look forward to that first chapel of the school year for that reason. Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am excited to see you blog! Thanks for sharing your insights with others!

    ReplyDelete

  3. Thanks! It is fun and I have always like to write.

    ReplyDelete