Tuesday, August 4, 2015

In the beginning....

In August of 1973, I stood in front of my first class of first and second graders.  It was at St. John Lutheran School, Freedom Township in Napoleon, Ohio.  I remember looking at my class and thinking, "Now what?"

I know better what to do now, but I still have trouble sleeping the night before my first day of school begins.  My mind is reeling with prayers, lessons plans, and excitement.

This year, God willing, will be my final year of teaching, my forty-first.  I pray that God has helped me use my talents to teach His children more about Him and His Kingdom.

I tell each class that I will remember them, but I might have to ask them their names because they will look different as they age.  I am sure that I have not, although my joints tell me otherwise.

Some of my children, for they remain my children no matter how old they are, have gone on to their eternal reward.  They are there offering their eternal praises to God along with my husband, John. It comforts me to think about them all there, perhaps singing some of the songs I taught them in my classroom.  They have gotten the answers to all the questions they asked me and I could not answer.  These I call, :"Ah-ha Questions."  When they get to heaven, they will say, "Ah-ha, now I understand."

Curriculum has changed, families have changed, legislation has changed, I have changed, and the world's morals have changed.  Thankfully, children have not changed and Jesus Christ is the same, yesterday, today, and tomorrow. Hebrews 13:9

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. Please continue to write. I enjoyed every word!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am proud to say you were my 1st grade teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a Blessing that Maddie, Jacob & Reaghan all had you as their 1st grade teacher. An even bigger Blessing to me to call you friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandy, I will follow your blog gladly. What a wonderful way to let folks see the ins and outs of teaching in a Lutheran School. My girls all had the benefit of being taught by people who knew the Lord and did it all to His honor and glory. Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to all of you! I am already planning my next post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed this. I think we are in the same position, only I was retired this summer (not my choice).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That has happened to so many. I am glad that I am finishing my career on my terms!

      Delete