Sunday, February 28, 2016

How to Draw a Crowd

There are several tried and true ways to draw a crowd in a classroom.

An injury:  this takes at least three students. You have the injured party, the witness, and those who are helping the injured child over to the teacher.  Most injuries can be cured by a bandage, a drink of water, or a walk around the playground.

A tattle:  this can take a small army.  You have the culprit, the slighted, the witnesses, and those who have heard what happened and who can testify about the culprit's reputation.

A dropped box of crayons:  students who ordinarily sit stone-faced, will jump out of their seats and fly across the room to assist.  No matter how many students help, it will take waaaay longer than necessary to clean the mess up.  (Parents wonder why I limit the number of crayons and markers needed in school.)

Spilled milk:  any number of students will rush over to stare at the milk as it flows off the table and puddles on the floor.  There will be some who rush to get the super-absorbent paper towels always dispensed in schools across America.  It will take unlimited trips to clean it up.

A lost pencil or crayon:  this requires one child to find it.  The finder will wander all over the room to ask each child if it is his or hers.  Students join in the parade as it progresses only to find no one will claim the pencil.

A clod of mud on the restroom floor which looks like poop:  I have a small toilet in my classroom.  The entire class can crowd in when someone comes out and announces what he found on the floor.  I was the hero in this event when I used a paper towel to pick it up.  My announcement that it was mud was greeted with cheers.

Vomit:  students will stand and watch the child vomit and hold their noses.  Brilliant comments are made such as, "If I look at this much longer, I am going to be sick."  I have also had a child announce that he didn't feel well and proceeded to throw up all over my desk.  He was the hero because no one had to finish their work since all papers were unrecoverable.  Yes, we discuss over and over that if they feel like they are going to upchuck, run to the trash can, sink, or best option, toilet.

My favorite crowd draw is a song.  One child will start singing, pretty soon we all join in.  My favorite was "Bermuda, Bahama, come on pretty mama."  We all were up dancing, clapping, and singing and then we went back to work.  I wonder where that child is now and if he knows how fondly I remember those moments.




No comments:

Post a Comment