Saturday, October 17, 2015

Things Parent/Teacher Conferences Bring to Mind

This week was the last of my parent/teacher conferences.  This convinced me it is time to retire.  It may not be for the reason you may think.  The parents treated me with respect and made no comments about my age or how out of touch I might be with families today.  That's been part of my goal for some time:  to retire before I became that crazy lady just putting in her time.  As I told my principal the other day, I still have the heart for teaching.  I am getting to retire on my terms, truly a gift in these times. 

I am grateful for so many of the little things that happen these days.  I am getting notes I have always gotten from children, but treasure them even more.  When I see my eighth grade grandson in the hall, I smile because although he tries to pretend I am not there, when I drive him home from school on occasion, he talks my head off about his day. He also sincerely thanks me for coming to any of his games, as does his sister.   He does not complain when I sneak him a birthday treat that I should not eat.

I am not gleefully crossing things off my list.  When we go on the field trips I have taken my class on each year, the docents smile and wish me well.  President Benjamin Harrison Home is working very hard to convince me to become a docent there.  We get to make a wooden soldier ornament at the Harrison Home and tour the building.  My favorite thing there is a letter Helen Keller wrote to the president.

This picture was taken at Survive Alive, a wonderful fire safety experience for the children.  I was thrilled when they asked me to put on the equipment!

My colleague next door asked me what are the top five things I will not miss.  I had no trouble coming up with number one:  tattling.  I have two different answers for a tattle:  Did you tell me to help that person out or to get him/her in trouble?  or Now tell me one good thing about that person. These are greeted with a  red faces every time.  Don't ask me what I really want to say.

I am now focusing on the first day of a week of fall break--a little taste of the future, I pray!

No comments:

Post a Comment